Monday, August 27, 2012

The Divorc(ing) Widow

Complicated Love - used by Creative Commons


"When I saw how much pain love could bring I felt sorry for those in love, when I saw how much joy love could bring I envied those in love." - Unknown


Many widow/ers have a beautiful love story of the man/woman who passed long before their love could ever run dry. Of kissing someone and not knowing it was going to be the last time. 

I knew I'd kissed Mike for the last time. 
Not because he was physically ill. 
But because we filed for divorce. 
The day we decided that we could not continue to hold each other back, 
we both left work early, curled up in bed together and cried. 
Cried and cried 
and held each other as if there was a death in the family. 
It was the death of our "family".

We cried for the hopes and dreams that would never be, 
we mourned the relationship that never reached the potential that we dreamed so vividly.
We hated that we were giving up, 
but neither of us had the strength to carry ourselves 
and the gimping, bleeding, festering relationship any longer. 

We praised each other for the accomplishments and goals we set for our new lives. 
I was going to continue doing yoga, 
Mike was going to finish school. 
We would find our true selves again,
then remarry someone new.

The plan:
Learn from the mistakes of our marriage, 
and find our friendship again.
We always were best friends. 

We were good at that. 

I was so excited for him to find his path. 
I could see it vividly....
he would finish school, find a pretty young woman, 
more in-line with his parent's expectations - 
and they would raise a family and be happy. 
I wanted this for him. 
I loved him so much that I wanted him to find his peace, his family and his future - even if that meant without me.

That may have been my plan, 

may even have been Mike's plan, 
But that wasn't fate's plan. 

Turns out, 
I wasn't the one holding Mike back.
I was the one treading his water.
I was the one fighting the demons.

Sometimes when you let the baby bird out of the nest, 

they fly right into the window.
But you still had to let them fly. 


I don't regret filing for divorce.
Mike and I agreed it was the right thing to do. 

But he never signed the papers before he took his last breath. 
A breath filled with desperation, escape and inhalants.

Filing for divorce doesn't take away the pain of death,

Death doesn't take away the pain of a failed marriage. 
Both are ranked as the most stressful events of your life
Having both together... 
if you haven't experienced it....
just be kind to those who have...
you can never understand...
how deep the betrayal, 
how tangible the regrets
how abandoning the loss
and how isolated you feel. 

Being a divorcing widow is a unique form of solitary confinement. 
You feel
isolated from your family, 
hated by your in-laws,
distanced by your friends,
and (sometimes) chastised by other widows. 

To all of the other separated, divorced, or 
just-plain-complicated widows out there. 
You aren't alone, 
You aren't a horrible person.
You are loved.
You did the best you could.

Try to love the man you married, 
and forgive the man who died.
In time, that combination of love and forgiveness will give you peace. 
Nothing removes the pain, 
But the ever-elusive peace can be attained, even for only moments. 


*Author's note: If you like this post, please share it. Let the "complicated widows" know that they are not alone, that you stand next to them and realize that their pain is just as real. 



With Love and Light, 
Jess

You can also check out this, and other blog posts at http://www.thewiddahood.com/2012/08/27/divorcingwidow/

8 comments:

Unknown said...

so awesome! thank you!!!

Ally VanRoosendaal said...

Sometimes the strength and courage you have amazes me, dear sister. I am so proud of you for putting this out for the whole world to see. This will touch someone's heart and I hope you know that in yours.

D Crawford said...

What a lovely, heartbreaking, necessary piece. Thank you for having the courage to look deep into your heart, and the grace to write about what you found there. I know your words will help someone whose heart is in pain. They have certainly helped me to understand.

klhodge said...

Jess, I Love You!!

Jess said...

Thank you all! I really appreciate your support

JKyle said...

I'm reading this again. I've read it quite a few times since you wrote it. Today is the 1 year anniversary of my divorce. My husband died 28 days later. Your words ring more true every time I read them. Especially since the man I loved and married and had a life with for 24 years was gone long before his body died. That man died little by little until nothing was left of him at all, drowned in an empty bottle. As I travel this road I hope I am learning, growing and finding a better me along the way but that doesn't make it easy.

Filing for divorce doesn't take away the pain of death,
Death doesn't take away the pain of a failed marriage.

Those words still move my soul with their unfathomable truth. I AM able to love the man I married and forgive the man who died. It is painful but, ironically the new man I love in my life has helped me find that path. As I explore love and forgiveness I find pain and loss but I also find peace and joy. I'm still a "complicated widow" but I'm OK with that now.

JKyle said...

I'm reading this again. I've read it quite a few times since you wrote it. Today is the 1 year anniversary of my divorce. My husband died 28 days later. Your words ring more true every time I read them. Especially since the man I loved and married and had a life with for 24 years was gone long before his body died. That man died little by little until nothing was left of him at all, drowned in an empty bottle. As I travel this road I hope I am learning, growing and finding a better me along the way but that doesn't make it easy.

Filing for divorce doesn't take away the pain of death,
Death doesn't take away the pain of a failed marriage.

Those words still move my soul with their unfathomable truth. I AM able to love the man I married and forgive the man who died. It is painful but, ironically the new man I love in my life has helped me find that path. As I explore love and forgiveness I find pain and loss but I also find peace and joy. I'm still a "complicated widow" but I'm OK with that now.

Jess said...

Jess,
I love what you said. You have found amazing beauty and serenity in a time of chaos and pain. Isn't it amazing how a good "new man" will love and help you forgive the first one too. We're all complicated widows, and we stand together XOXO

Post a Comment

Please wait a moment for your comment to be published. It needs to be approved by a moderator.